Friday, July 1, 2011

Project Update House is in the works

I love our home!  From the moment that I first saw pictures of it on an MLS listing I knew it was the type of home Jeff and I would start our family in.  Everyone wants to make a house their own.  And certain areas of this lovely home didn't feel like us, so little by little we have been doing some updating! 

First off we bought a toilet.... yes a toilet!  Jeff is becoming quite the handyman and installed everything himself.  Now the old toilet can go down into the future half bath in the laundry room!

Then we bought a new dishwasher, it is like heaven listening to how quiet this new machine is!  (it's the small things)
Old Dishwasher

My dad hooking everything up!

The hole was just barley big enough

Ta-Da! Upgrading everything to black!
We also have a sink that is sitting in our garage waiting to be installed, one thing at a time.

Last Fall we took out the rocks that were being used as steps to go up our steep slope to the front door and moved the fence over to make room for new CONCRETE steps.  BIG thanks to my parents for coming over to help us move the fence over!  I know it was a lot of work!



 Just a few weeks ago we finally had someone put in the stairs, and we had a fun time putting in some plants, lights and a soaker hose.  (Well to be honest I mostly sat and watched while Jeff did the majority of the bending over)





Now onto the biggest house update yet!  After painting the baby's room, the office, and the baby's bathroom, we decided we loved the color so much, we wanted to paint the whole house that color!  Smoked Oyster sounds gross but the color is B-E-A-UTIFUL!  First Jeff and I spent an entire Saturday dedicated to moving all of the furniture, filling in holes, taking off light switches, installing chair rail in the living room, and anything else we could do to prepare for the painting.  We had my brother's painting company Steiner Painting come and do all of the painting work for us, and thank goodness we did because it took them about 5 days to finish, which would have taken us a couple weeks!

Here are the before shots, the paint patches on the wall were when we were trying to decide if we should go with a different color than smoked oyster.
No chair rail yet:
 Don't mind my um, outfit? Painting clothes are hard to come by in maternity sizes








Some during shots:
Dad came to help and teach us how to install chair rail

 Priming it in the garage was my favorite part




 They even painted the ceilings an amazing white, which made a huge difference from the off white that was on it before


This is what happens when you are eight months pregnant and try to squeeze in between a table and a newly painted wall: 
And after it was all done!
These cabinets will one day have bead board in the center and be painted a brilliant white! And the stove will one day also be black.




 Tile is going in front of this back door soon!

Lots more projects to come!  I have to document so that I don't ever forget all of our hard work!  I mean we used to have a bright pink baby room, we've come a long way!  Plus this feels much more Jeff and Jenn-esque!

2 comments:

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

All of your hard work has paid off. Your home looks AMAZING! That color is beautiful! Your home looks peaceful, calm and serene. I can't wait to see it in person.

The front stairs looks GREAT! You guys are just so blessed to have that home. You are taking such good care of it!

Julie vanHaaster said...

Aah I'm so jealous!!! I want a house so bad! Yours is so cute. We need to come visit!!